Executive Director Position Description and ApplicationClick here to read the full description »
Western Climate Initiative, Inc. (WCI, Inc.) is seeking an Executive Director. WCI, Inc. is a nonprofit corporation supporting a cooperative effort among participating jurisdictions implementing cap-and-trade programs for greenhouse gas emissions.
As Executive Director, you will work in a fast-paced and rapidly evolving environment to:
- support the implementation of the participating jurisdictions' emissions trading programs;
- manage the day-to-day operation of the organization;
- recruit, hire, and manage the organization’s staff;
- manage the budget and related financial matters;
- facilitate the hiring of contractors and oversee and manage their work; and
- facilitate external communications.
As Executive Director, you will report to, and work closely with, the Board of Directors and will be creative, proactive, and able to manage a diverse set of priorities and initiatives. You will develop and manage complex projects from start-up to completion, and adapt to rapidly changing circumstances. You will translate information into action and results, set and meet deadlines, and ensure program accountability.
As a successful candidate, you must have demonstrated leadership capabilities, excellent communication and management skills, knowledge of state and provincial regulatory programs, and understanding of financial management in a not-for-profit setting. Desirable experience and training include:
- Ten years of professional experience, with at least five years in a management capacity or team leadership role involving program planning, implementation and/or organizational development.
- A graduate degree in management, policy, public administration, business, law, or another field relevant to the implementation of the participating jurisdictions' programs.
- A firm working knowledge of, and experience working on, state, provincial and/or federal programs relating to climate change and/or energy.
- Experience and expertise managing IT systems development and/or implementation.
- Procurement and management of professional and technical services, including procuring services through open bidding processes.
- Project management experience, such as:
- Developing and implementing project charters or master project plans that identify deliverables, timelines, resources and interdependencies;
- coordinating resources and contractors to achieve project objectives; and
- evaluating and managing project risks.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including media relations experience.
A comparable combination of experience and education can be substituted for the above requirements. An understanding of the French language would be an asset.
The salary and benefits package for this position is commensurate with qualifications and consistent with similar organizations.
WCI, Inc. is headquartered in Sacramento, California.
Using the form below, interested applicants should submit a cover letter, including a summary of qualifications and salary requirements, and a resume in PDF format by June 30, 2014.